Readers of It’s A Stampede! will know that Love, Simon is one of my favourite movies. This heart-warming, coming of age story is the perfect expression of love and acceptance and one that is highly recommended to everyone.
But how much do you know about Love, Simon?
Well, if your knowledge is somewhat lacking, here’s the 411!
Love, Simon: The Stats
- Love, Simon is based on the award-winning young adult novel, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, by Becky Albertalli.
- The movie is directed by Greg Berlanti – the openly gay director/producer who is perhaps better known as one of the creators and driving forces behind DC Entertainment’s Arrowverse.
- Love, Simon is the first film from a major Hollywood studio to focus on a gay teenage romance.
- Lead actor, Nick Robinson is not gay, but his involvement in the movie helped his brother to come out.
- On February 27th 2018, Love, Simon received its premiere at the Mardi Gras Film Festival. The movie opened in the US on March 16th, followed by a staggered worldwide release over the coming months.
- In total, during its theatrical run the movie was screened in 48 different territories.
- Upon release, Terri White of Empire awarded Love, Simon four stars (out of five) and said: “The high school teen romcom is reborn for 2018. Funny, sentimental and smart: John Hughes would be proud.” Pete Hammond of Deadline also awarded Love, Simon four stars (out of five), calling the movie “one from the heart”, adding: “What’s not to love about Simon?”
- The Rotten Tomatoes rating for Love, Simon is currently 91%, with an audience score of 88%.
- The IMDb rating for Love, Simon is currently 7.6/10.
- During its theatrical run Love, Simon took $66,316,289 at the worldwide box office, more than exceeding its budget of $17 million.
- In North America, the movie made $40,826,341 at the domestic box office.
- Outside of North America, Love, Simon was most successful in the UK, where it took $5,193,621 during its theatrical run.
- After completing its theatrical run, Love, Simon became 20th Century Fox’s third highest-grossing teen romance, sitting behind The Fault in Our Stars (2014) and Romeo + Juliet (1996).
- Love, Simon won nine accolades including a Human Rights Award for Nick Robinson who picked up the Ally for Equality Award.
- Since the Disney/Fox merger, Love, Simon is now owned by The Walt Disney Company.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post on It’s A Stampede!. For more posts, check out one of the recommended reads below.
- What is the best order to watch the Jurassic Park movies?
- Thoughts on Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- How much money did Cats make?