Next weekend, The Predator arrives in cinemas. The movie – 20th Century Fox’s sixth film to feature the alien hunters – is directed by Shane Black and stars Boyd Holbrook, Jacob Tremblay, Thomas Jane and Olivia Munn.
Is it any good?
Let’s see what the critics have to say…
- Jim Vejovoda of IGN awarded The Predator a score of 6.5 (out of ten) and said: “With its bawdy sense of humor, disorderly cast of characters, and hardcore kills and action, The Predator does a lot right to reinvigorate the 31-year-old series. But everything crashes down during its frenzied, messy final act, a disappointing conclusion to what had largely been a fun romp up until that point.”
- Simon Brew of Den of Geek wasn’t that impressed by The Predator, calling it “a bad misfire.” He added: “Particularly disappointing given the pedigree of who’s behind the camera. He said: “Save your money. Buy a Predator boxset, The Nice Guys, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Last Boy Scout, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Lethal Weapon. Every single one of those is worth your time to some degree. The Predator, though, is not.”
- Hugh Armitage of Digital Spy awarded the movie three stars (out of five) calling The Predator a fun, flawed return to the Predatorverse.”
- Chris Evangelista of SlashFilm awarded The Predator 6.5 (out of ten) and said: “The plot doesn’t make sense. A lot of the jokes fall flat. There’s a pointless sequel set-up. But while you’re watching the movie, it’s hard not to get caught up in all the fun. Black and company are having a blast here, and it’s infectious.”
- And finally, Dennis Harvey of Variety called The Predator an “expensive toy of a film”. He said: “There’s not so much to say about the actors at hand, save that they showed up when they needed to, and the rest of the time (a lot, in fact), their stunt doubles did. Production values are highly polished across the board, which is not the same as saying the film has style — or that if it did, we’d have time to notice during 105 minutes that are strenuous, clamorous, yet still feel altogether like a tossed-off goof.”
So, there you go. The general feeling is it’s a middle-of-the-road affair – nothing more.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post on It’s A Stampede!. For more posts, check out one of the recommended reads below.
- What is the best order to watch the Predator movies?
- Thoughts on Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- Ranking the Predator movies