This morning I posted the list of recipients of this year’s Academy Awards, but at the time of posting I didn’t have time to say much about the winners. So, first and foremost what a great win for The Shape of Water, picking up Best Picture!
I honestly thought Three Billboards would be awarded Best Picture, although I really wanted Get Out to take the top spot. That said, The Shape of Water was a deserving winner as was Guillermo Del Toro, who picked up Best Director.
As for the rest of the awards, I was pleased to see Get Out awarded something (Best Original Screenplay) and it was also great to see Call Me By Your Name pick up an award too (Best Adapted Screenplay).
Allison Janney was most definitely the right winner for Best Supporting Actress for her turn in I, Tonya and while I wasn’t a huge fan of the movie (it was alright), I felt Janney was fantastic as LaVona Fay Golden. She was easily the most captivating element of the film – sorry, Margot Robbie.
Blade Runner 2049 received the right awards (Best Cinematography & Best Visual Effects) and Coco was the correct winner of Best Animated Feature, but I was a little disappointed that ‘This is Me’ from The Greatest Showman didn’t pick up Best Song.
Insert sad face.
I adore Coco and ‘Remember Me’ is a fantastic and poignant song, but come on, ‘This is Me’ is so good! If there was one real disappointment for me, it was the fact this song missed out on an Academy Award.
Oh, and I do feel Logan should have won something. Yeah, yeah, I know it was only up for one award – which went to Call Me By Your Name – but even so, it deserved so much more.
When the shortlist was announced at the beginning of the year I felt that Hugh Jackman and Sir Patrick Stewart should have been nominated for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor respectively, so I’m still grumblin’ over that.
Ah well, overall I think (mostly) the winners were correct this year. Now what will next year offer?
Could Black Panther receive Best Picture? Will Josh Brolin pick up Best Actor for his turn as Thanos in Avengers: Infinity War?
Only time will tell.
For those who missed the winners list this morning, here it is again in full:
- Best Picture: The Shape of Water
- Best Actress: Frances McDormand – Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- Best Actor: Winner: Gary Oldman – Darkest Hour
- Best Supporting Actress: Allison Janney – I, Tonya
- Best Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell – Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- Best Director: Guillermo Del Toro – The Shape of Water
- Best Adapted Screenplay: Call Me By Your Name – screenplay by James Ivory
- Best Original Screenplay: Get Out – written by Jordan Peele
- Best Foreign Language Film: A Fantastic Woman
- Best Song: Remember Me – Coco (Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez)
- Best Original Score: The Shape of Water – Alexandre Desplat
- Best Animated Feature: Coco
- Best Documentary Feature: Icarus
- Best Cinematography: Blade Runner 2049 – Roger Deakins
- Best Costume Design: Phantom Thread – Mark Bridges
- Best Make-up and Hairstyling: Darkest Hour – Kazuhiro Tsuji, David Malinowski & Lucy Sibbick
- Best Production Design: The Shape of Water – Production design by Paul Denham Austerberry; set decoration by Shane Vieau and Jeff Melvin
- Best Visual Effects: Blade Runner 2049 – John Nelson, Gerd Nefzer, Paul Lambert & Richard R Hoover
- Best Film Editing: Dunkirk – Lee Smith
- Best Sound Editing: Dunkirk – Richard King and Alex Gibson
- Best Sound Mixing: Dunkirk – Mark Weingarten, Gregg Landaker and Gary A Rizzo
- Best Animated Short: Dear Basketball
- Best Live Action Short: The Silent Child
- Best Documentary Short: Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405