In 1965, Amicus Productions released Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors. The movie – a British anthology film – comprised five macabre stories and was fronted by horror legend, Peter Cushing.
Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors was a hit with audiences, and was soon followed by a whole collection of anthology movies from Amicus. Each film included multiple stories, as well as a cast of well-known faces, and terrified and delighted audiences.
But how many anthology movies were produced by Amicus Productions? And who starred in these movies?
For all these details and more, read on… if you dare.
The order of the Amicus horror anthology movies
There are seven entries in Amicus’ horror anthology series. The order of the series is as follows:
- Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (1965)
- Torture Garden (1967)
- The House That Dripped Blood (1970)
- Asylum (1972)
- Tales from the Crypt (1972)
- The Vault of Horror (1973)
- From Beyond the Grave (1974)
Are the Amicus anthology movies part of the same series?
The Amicus anthology movies are standalone tales. The films can be watched independently of each other, with no prior knowledge of what came before or what comes next.
Who are the cast of the Amicus anthology movies?
Notable cast members across the seven Amicus anthology movies include Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Roy Castle, Donald Sutherland, Peter Madden, Michael Gough, Jack Palance, Burgess Meredith, Ingrid Pitt, Jon Pertwee, Robert Powell, Herbert Lom, Britt Ekland, Joan Collins, Tom Baker, Terry-Thomas, Mike Pratt, Donald Pleasence, Diana Dors, and David Warner.
Who directed the Amicus anthology movies?
The Amicus anthology movies are the work of multiple directors. Freddie Francis directed Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors, Torture Garden, and Tales from the Crypt; Peter Duffell directed The House That Dripped Blood; Roy Ward Baker directed Asylum and The Vault of Horror; and Kevin Connor directed From Beyond the Grave.
What is the best Amicus anthology movie?
According to IMDb, the Amicus anthology movies are ranked from best to least-best as follows:
- Tales from the Crypt (1972) – 7.0/10
- Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (1965) – 6.7/10
- From Beyond the Grave (1974) – 6.7/10
- The House That Dripped Blood (1970) – 6.6/10
- The Vault of Horror (1973) – 6.6/10
- Asylum (1972) – 6.5/10
- Torture Garden (1967) – 6.2/10
I hope this information about the Amicus series has proved useful. Should you wish to sink your teeth into more horror-related posts, please check out the recommended reads below.
- A list of The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror Halloween episodes
- 120 best horror movies you must watch
- How many Warlock movies are there?