Every year for the past five years, television shows within the Arrowverse (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl etc) take part in a crossover event. These events – which usually air each season before Christmas – initially began as an Arrow/Flash two-part story, before expanding to include other characters and shows from the connected universe.
Last year’s event was called Elseworlds and featured characters from Arrow, The Flash and Supergirl, and also introduced Batwoman – a character who now has her own TV series. Elseworlds was not only designed to be a big milestone for the Arrowverse, by linking up and introducing characters, it was also the first step towards and even bigger event.
That bigger event is this year’s sixth annual crossover story, Crisis on Infinite Earths. Crisis on Infinite Earths is set to run across episodes of Supergirl, Batwoman, The Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow, beginning in December.
Ordinarily I get excited by each of these event episodes as they are pretty awesome, but this year I am beyond excited. Why? Because a huge number of characters are being drafted in to take part in the storyline – making this one of the biggest TV events ever.
Not only are five shows crossing over, but characters from other DC TV shows (both past and present) are also set to appear. From Smallville and Batman: The Animated Series, to Birds of Prey and Black Lightning, there will be a wealth of guest stars from the wider DC multiverse.
To say this year’s crossover is ambitious is putting it mildly. What the team behind the Arrowverse is about to pull off is unprecedented and put simply, this is shaping up to be the television equivalent of Avengers: Infinity Way/Avengers: Endgame.
Many of the guest stars have been announced on social media or by various entertainment news outlets, so below I have listed every actor/character who is currently set to guest star in Crisis on Infinite Earths. If you do not want to know, stop reading NOW!
OK, so in addition to the core cast of Supergirl, Batwoman, The Flash, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow, the guest list for Crisis on Infinite Earths includes:
- Kevin Conroy from Batman: The Animated Series who will appear in the role of Bruce Wayne
- Mark Hamill from Batman: The Animated Series & The Flash who will appear in an undisclosed role
- Tom Welling & Erica Durance from Smallville who will reprise their roles as Clark Kent and Lois Lane respectively
- Burt Ward from Batman ’66 who will appear in an undisclosed role
- Ashley Scott from Birds of Prey who will reprise her role as Huntress
- Cress Williams from Black Lightning who will reprise his role as Black Lightning
- Osric Chau who will join the cast to play a new version of the Atom
- Tyler Hoechlin, Bitsie Tulloch and Jon Cryer from Supergirl who will reprise their roles of Superman, Lois Lane and Lex Luthor respectively
- John Wesley Shipp from The Flash who will appear in an undisclosed role
- Johnathon Schaech from the Arrowverse will reprise his role as Jonah Hex
- LaMonica Garrett who will appear as the Monitor/Anti-Monitor
In addition to the above, Brandon Routh will be appearing as both Ray Palmer and the Kingdom Come version of Clark Kent/Superman (sort of reprising his role from Superman Returns); Tom Cavanagh will be playing Harrison Wells, Eobard Thawne and Pariah; and Audrey Marie Anderson will be taking on double duties as Lyla Michaels and Harbinger. The crossover also promises a number of nods to other past DC properties, including Michael Keaton’s Batman.
Pretty exciting, right?
I’m a big fan of the Arrowverse and feel that these interconnected DC TV shows are a heap of fun. They can get a little ‘soapy’ from time-to-time, but when it comes to geek culture and providing standout moments for comic book fans, they do their best to deliver.
Past Arrowverse crossovers have included Flash vs Arrow/The Brave and the Bold, Legends of Today/Legends of Yesterday, Invasion!, Crisis on Earth-X and Elseworlds. Should you want to watch some key episodes, but you do not have time to go back through all of the many (many) seasons of the Arrowverse shows, then these are the stories to watch.
Crisis on Infinite Earths begins in December. I am very, very excited.
Leave a Reply