I have never watched When Harry Met Sally (1989). To some, this statement is perhaps sacrilegious.
I am aware that When Harry Met Sally is considered ‘a classic’, but I will be honest, I have never been too bothered about watching the movie. I really like Billy Crystal – one of the leads in When Harry Met Sally – but I am not a fan of Meg Ryan – the other lead.
I have had the opportunity to watch this movie a number of times in the past, but I’ve not felt the need. But today feels like the right day to give it a go. Today feels like the day that I meet Harry and Sally.
- Meg Ryan claims she has had plenty of good sex. I don’t believe her. Not with that hair.
- Ryan is a picky eater (and is also quite irritating). This is not helping to change my opinion of her.
- Why is Billy Crystal so interested in Meg Ryan? I appreciate that it could be just me – I clearly do not care for Ryan as an actress – but what about her character is appealing? What?!
- It Had to Be You
- Carrie Fisher
- The sex fantasy
- Autumn leaves
- The fake orgasm scene
- “I’ll have what she’s having”
Consequences of watching When Harry Met Sally
Because of how loud Meg Ryan is during the fake orgasm scene, I just had to turn the volume down on my TV! What must the neighbours think?! I won’t be able to look them in the eyes ever again.
Come to think of it, I have lived in the same apartment block for the past seven years, and I don’t even know who my neighbours are!
The countless segments where old couples talk about their relationship/how they met etc, is good. I like this. More of this please. And less of Harry and Sally having sex.
Yeah… it was alright, I guess. When Harry Met Sally is certainly an easy-to-watch movie, and I get why some people like it, but personally I didn’t find it very engaging.
I really liked the soundtrack and the cosy feel of the New York setting (this is a beautifully shot movie), but I simply didn’t buy the ‘romance’ between the two leads. This was purely a relationship of coincidence and nothing more – there was no chemistry.
Not a film for me I’m afraid. It has taken me 30 years to watch When Harry Met Sally but this was a one-time only deal.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post about When Harry Met Sally. For more posts, check out the recommended reads below.
- Watching Can You Ever Forgive Me?
- 43 best comedies to put a smile on your face
- Review: Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again