Getting impatient waiting for the Avengers 4 trailer to drop?
Well, while we wait (*checks watch again*) how about we take a look at some Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) stats to help pass the time?
15 MCU stats sound good to you? OK, let’s go with that…
- The Marvel Cinematic Universe started in 2008 with Iron Man.
- To date there are 20 movies in the MCU: Iron Man (2008), The Incredible Hulk (2008), Iron Man 2 (2010), Thor (2011), Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), The Avengers (2012), Iron Man 3 (2013), Thor: The Dark World (2013), Captain America: The Winter Solider (2014), Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), Ant-Man (2015), Captain America: Civil War (2016), Doctor Strange (2016), Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017), Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017), Thor: Ragnarok (2017), Black Panther (2018), Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018).
- Over the ten year period of 2008 – 2018, the only year not to see a new MCU movie is 2009.
- Robert Downey Jr has appeared in nine MCU movies: Iron Man (2008), The Incredible Hulk (2008), Iron Man 2 (2010), The Avengers (2012), Iron Man 3 (2013), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), Captain America: Civil War (2016), Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017), Avengers: Infinity War (2018).
- Stan Lee cameos in all 20 MCU movies.
- Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man & the Hulk are the only characters to have just one movie in the MCU.
- In addition to 20 movies, the MCU is accompanied by five shorts and 11 TV shows. The shows have appeared on ABC, Netflix, Hulu and Freeform.
- In the US, Black Panther is the most financially successful MCU movie, taking $700,059,566 at the North American box office.
- Globally, the most financially successful MCU movie is Avengers: Infinity War, which has accumulated $2,046,909,636 worldwide. Infinity War is also the fourth highest grossing movie of all-time.
- The least successful movie is The Incredible Hulk. The film has a worldwide box office take of $263,427,551.
- According to Rotten Tomatoes, Black Panther (2018) is the best rated MCU movie with a Tomatometer score of 97%.
- Thor: The Dark World (2013) is the worst rated movie, with a Rotten Tomatoes score of 66%.
- Collectively the 20 MCU movies have taken $17,528.3 at the worldwide box office.
- 15 directors have worked on the 20 MCU movies: Joe & Anthony Russo, Joss Whedon, Ryan Coogler, ShaneBlack, Jon Watts, James Gunn, Taika Waititi, Scott Derrickson, Alan Taylor, JonFavreau, Peyton Reed, Kenneth Branagh, Joe Johnston and Louis Leterrier.
- Beyond the current 20 films, there are at least three movies still to come in the MCU: Captain Marvel, Avengers 4 and Spider-Man: Far From Home. All three movies make their debut in 2014.
OK, so that’s filled in a minute or two. Now where is that trailer?!