In 1981, animated movie, Dennis the Menace: Mayday for Mother, arrived on television screens. The film, based on the US comic strip character created by Hank Ketcham, followed the story of a young (and mischievous) boy called Dennis Mitchell, who is trying to decide what present to gift his mother for Mother’s Day.
Dennis the Menace: Mayday for Mother marked the first feature-length adaptation of Dennis Mitchell on screen, and proved popular with audiences. However, due to the popularity of the TV movie, as well as the continued popularity of the Dennis comics, it certainly wasn’t the last!
Following on from the debut of this movie, other Dennis films were produced. Some of these movies were animated, others were live-action, and each offered a different take on the character.
But how many Dennis the Menace* movies are there? For all the details and more, keep reading.
*Please note: In the UK, Dennis the Menace is simply known as ‘Dennis‘. This is to avoid confusion, as the UK has an entirely different (and very famous) comic book character who is also called Dennis the Menace.
The Dennis the Menace movies in order
To date there are six entries in the Dennis the Menace movie series:
- Dennis the Menace: Mayday for Mother (1981)
- Dennis the Menace: Dinosaur Hunter (1987)
- Dennis the Menace (1993)
- Dennis the Menace Strikes Again (1998)
- Dennis the Menace in Cruise Control (2002)
- A Dennis the Menace Christmas (2007)
Are all of the Dennis the Menace movies part of the same series?
The Dennis the Menace movie series is a mix of live-action and animated movies, which are largely stand-alone affairs. The film series breaks down as follows:
- Dennis the Menace: Mayday for Mother (1981) is a stand-alone animated TV movie
- Dennis the Menace: Dinosaur Hunter (1987) is a stand-alone live-action movie
- Dennis the Menace (1993) and Dennis the Menace Strikes Again (1998) are live-action movies, which are loosely connected (although they feature different cast members)
- Dennis the Menace in Cruise Control (2002) is a stand-alone animated movie TV movie
- A Dennis the Menace Christmas (2007) is a live-action stand-alone direct-to-video movie
Who are the cast of the Dennis the Menace movies?
Notable cast members in the Dennis the Menace movie series include Joey Nagy, Larry D. Mann, Jay North, Joseph Kearns, Mason Gamble, Walter Matthau, Justin Cooper, Don Rickles, Betty White, Peter Cronkite, Tom Arnold, Maxwell Perry Cotton, and Robert Wagner.
Thank you for stopping by It’s A Stampede! to read this post about the Dennis the Menace movie series. For more movie posts, be sure to check out the recommended reads below.
Leave a Reply