Released in 2017, The Shape of Water is a fantasy film directed by Guillermo del Toro. The movie stars Sally Hawkins, Michael Shannon and Doug Jones and was distributed by Fox Searchlight Pictures.
Prior to its theatrical release, the buzz surrounding The Shape of Water was incredibly positive. US critics praised the movie before, and in 2018 The Shape of Water went on to pick up multiple awards, including four Academy Awards!
Pretty good, right?
In this post I am highlighting seven review excerpts, which were originally served up during the film’s theatrical run. These excerpts are taken from various old online reviews, so if you have still not watched The Shape of Water yet, let’s see if these classic reviews persuade you to finally check it out.
The Shape of Water movie review round-up
Here’s what critics said about The Shape of Water back in 2017/2018:
- Ryan Lamble of Den of Geek! was very positive about The Shape of Water, awarding the movie five stars (out of five). He said: “Superbly acted by its diverse cast – Hawkins, in particular, is captivating in the lead – and made with evident care, The Shape Of Water is surely del Toro’s best film since Pan’s Labyrinth.” He added: “Classic status surely beckons.”
- Robbie Collin of the Telegraph awarded The Shape of Water five stars (out of five), commenting: “Guillermo del Toro’s beautiful blood-curdler is as timeless as a fairy tale.”
- The five star praise continued with top marks from Olly Richards of Empire, who said: “The Shape Of Water is a movie that will grow with repeat watches, quiet side stories getting louder with familiarity. On first viewing it’s a flood of wondrous moments and sinister, beautiful images. As it settles, as you think on it for weeks after, its deeper meanings rise to the surface.”
- Kevin Harley of GamesRader also awarded The Shape of Water five stars (out of five), calling the movie “a timeless, fantastical and forceful fable of outsider love.”
- Xan Brooks of The Guardian, gave The Shape of Water four stars (out of five) and said: “Del Toro provides just enough spade-work to keep the scheme plausible and his film is stylish and charming; red meat for the senses with some sugar on top.”
- Euan Franklin of The Up Coming, awarded The Shape of Water four stars (out of five). He said: “The Shape of Water is a violent, sexy, beautiful fairytale for adults that reinvigorates the magic of movies. It also resonates with current times, primarily through Michael Shannon’s racist, power-crazy and misogynistic villain – perfect for the post-Weinstein era. But, more than anything, del Toro has allowed grown-ups to dream again.”
- And finally, Mike Reyes of Cinema Blend serves up yet another five star rating, describing The Shape of Water as “the most beautiful film of the year, both in body and spirit.” According to Mike, “it is not to be missed.”
So there you go – seven review snippets, which were all very complimentary of the movie.
Did the critics get it right? I think so; but what do you think?
Share your thoughts and let me know, because sharing is caring.
I hope this information on The Shape of Water has proved useful. Should you wish to read more posts, please check out one of the recommended reads below.
- How many Tales from the Crypt films are there?
- What is the best order to watch The Exorcist movies?
- The Greatest Showman: The stats