In this post I am taking a look at the current IMDb ratings and Rotten Tomatoes scores for all of the movies within the Jumanji Universe. This includes the Robin Williams-starring Jumanji (1995), the sort-of-sequel Zathura: A Space Adventure (2005), and the Dwayne Johnson-starring films Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) and Jumanji: The Next Level (2019).
For those not familiar with the ratings/scores of IMDb/Rotten Tomatoes, every film that is listed on IMDb is given a rating based on feedback from the website’s users, with the ratings determined from both US and non-US voters. For Rotten Tomatoes, every film is given two scores: One from critics (Tomatometer) and one from audiences (Audience Score).
OK, so let’s start by taking a look at the Jumanji movie ratings on IMDb.
Jumanji IMDb movie ratings
Below is a list of all the IMDb ratings for the Jumanji movies.
- Jumanji (1995) – 7.0/10 (282,048 votes)
- Zathura: A Space Adventure (2005) – 6.2/10 (86,739 votes)
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) – 6.9/10 (271,775 votes)
- Jumanji: The Next Level (2019) – 7.0/10 (34,873 votes)
As you can see from the list above, the best rated movies are Jumanji ’95 and Jumanji: The Next Level. However, it is worth noting that the Jumanji movies all share similar ratings (around 6 or 7 out of 10), suggesting that audiences believe all the films are pretty much on par with each other.
OK, now onto Rotten Tomatoes.
Jumanji Rotten Tomatoes movie scores
Below is a list of all the Rotten Tomato scores for the Jumanji movies. This list includes both the Tomatometer score (which reflects the opinions of critics), as well as the Audience Score.
- Jumanji (1995) – Tomatometer 54% / Audience Score 62%
- Zathura: A Space Adventure (2005) – Tomatometer 75% / Audience Score 51%
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) – Tomatometer 76% / Audience Score 87%
- Jumanji: The Next Level (2019) – Tomatometer 71% / Audience score 87%
As you can see from this list, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is the best rated film on the Tomatometer, with Zathura: A Space Adventure closely behind. Perhaps rather surprisingly, Jumanji ’95 has the lowest Tomatometer score.
In terms of Audiences Scores, both Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and Jumanji: The Next Level are the highest rated movies, with an Audience Score of 87% a piece. Zathura is the lowest rated entry with 51%.
So, what do the IMDb ratings and Rotten Tomatoes scores tell us about the Jumanji movies?
- The highest rated Jumanji movie on IMDb is: Jumanji ’95 / Jumanji: The Next Level
- The highest rated Jumanji movie on Rotten Tomatoes is: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
The ratings/scores tell us two things:
- There isn’t a ‘best’ Jumanji movie – they are all considered good
- The Jumanji movie series as a whole is pretty consistent
From looking at the data, the general rule of thumb seems to be that if you like one Jumanji movie then you will probably like them all.
I hope you found this post informative. Should you wish to know more about the Jumanji movies, including whether or not Jumanji is a real game, or who the cast of Jumanji are, then click on the highlighted links.
You can also find more Jumanji movie related posts on It’s A Stampede! Just take a look at one of the recommended reads below.
- What is the best order to watch the Jumanji movies?
- 12 facts about the Jumanji cartoon
- Thoughts on Jumanji: The Next Level