On June 15th supernatural horror movie, Hereditary hits UK cinema screens. The movie – directed by Ari Aster – stars Toni Collette, Alex Wolff, Milly Shapiro, Gabriel Byrne and Ann Dowd and is distributed by A24.
Is it any good?
Well, if you’re a horror-buff then you might like to know that there’s a VERY positive buzz surrounding this movie. Don’t believe me? Then check out the review round-up below…
- Peter Bradshaw of the Guardian awarded Hereditary five stars (out of five) and said: “Hereditary is basically a brilliant machine for scaring us, and Collette’s operatic, hypnotic performance seals the deal every second she’s on the screen.”
- Ryan Scott of MovieWeb was also a fan of Hereditary and said: “This will seriously mess you up.” He added: “If you’re at all interested in seeing Hereditary for yourself, don’t watch a trailer. Don’t do anything other than go to a theater and experience this for yourself. A24 and Ari Aster have cooked up something that is, above all else, a memorable and horrifying experience.”
- More praise for Hereditary from Alissa Wilkinson of Vox, who called the movie “the terrifying arthouse horror film of the year” and awarded the movie four-and-a-half stars (out of five). She said: “It is one wild, wild movie.”
- A.A. Dowd of AV Club called Hereditary “the most traumatically terrifying horror movie in ages.” He added: “Like some of the best horror, Hereditary claws at deeper anxieties; it’s a serious, adult psychological study that also happens to double as impeccably crafted haunted-house ‘entertainment.'”
- And finally, Clarisse Loughrey of the Independent, called Hereditary a “film not here to play back your own worst nightmare in front of your eyes, but to render a feature-length iteration of the paranormal experience.”
So, sounds pretty promising, right?
Hereditary arrives in cinemas in two weeks’ time.
For more review round-ups and reactions to recent releases, check out past editions of The Great Stampede which have focused on Solo: A Star Wars Story, Deadpool 2, Batman Ninja, Avengers: Infinity War, Rampage, A Quiet Place, Isle of Dogs, Tomb Raider, Ready Player One, Love, Simon, A Wrinkle in Time, Annihilation, The Shape of Water and Black Panther.