Do you regard yourself as a bit of a movie buff? Do you believe you have what it takes to answer a series of film related trivia? Then maybe it’s time to put your skills to the test!
In this post I am presenting 101 classic movie quiz questions designed to stretch your knowledge. From The Wizard of Oz and Rocky, to Indiana Jones and more, these brain-bustin’ questions are guaranteed to have you scratching your head.
But whether you answer the questions alone, or as part of a team, if you’re a film fan then this is the movie quiz for you! So, get ready because it’s time to see how much you have been paying attention at the cinema.
101 movie quiz questions
01) Eddie Valiant, Marvin Acme, and R.K. Maroon are characters in which 1988 part-live-action, part-animated fantasy comedy?
02) Who directed the 1971 action-thriller, Duel?
03) Which of the following actors did not appear in the 1974 disaster movie, The Towering Inferno?
a) O.J. Simpson b) Adam West c) Fred Astaire
04) Which Star Wars actress cameos in the slasher movie, Scream 3, in the role of Bianca Burnette?
05) What is the name of Nicole Kidman’s character in the 2001 musical, Moulin Rouge!?
06) “Barney, do you have to do everything Fred does?”, is a line from which ‘90s family comedy?
07) Jennifer Garner stars in which super hero movie that is a spin-off to 2003’s Daredevil?
08) Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact, and The Dead Pool are sequels to which 1970s action movie?
09) Who plays the title character in the Marvel movie Morbius?
10) ‘You’ll believe a man can fly’ is the tagline to which fantasy movie?
11) In what year were the films Men in Black, Batman & Robin, and Titanic released?
12) ‘Poor Unfortunate Souls’ and ‘Under the Sea’ are the titles of songs in which Disney animated movie?
13) Which actor plays the role of Lieutenant Marion “Cobra” Cobretti in the 1986 action movie, Cobra?
14) In which movie series would you find a Mogwai?
15) Which actor links the movies The Color of Money, Hud, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?
16) According to the title of a 1986 comedy, what type of ‘people’ are Danny DeVito, Bette Midler, Helen Slater, and Judge Reinhold?
17) Complete the film title: The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a…
18) Lifeboat, Frenzy, and Vertigo are movies by which director?
19) Put the following Rocky movies in chronological order:
a) Rocky IV b) Rocky Balboa c) Rocky II
20) In which US city is the 1984 comedy Ghostbusters set?
21) The Disney movie, Disenchanted, is a sequel to what film?
22) Which police inspector links Steve Martin and Peter Sellers?
23) In which movie series would you find the character, Ethan Hunt?
24) In which decade is the movie Tetris set?
25) Which actor plays the role of James Bond in the film, Live and Let Die?
26) Who directs 1962’s Lawrence of Arabia?
27) In which 1968 horror-thriller does Mia Farrow play the role of Rosemary Woodhouse?
28) RONT is an anagram of which sci-fi fantasy film from 1982?
29) What type of detective is Ace Ventura?
30) How many awards did Everything Everywhere All at Once win at the 95th Academy Awards in 2023?
31) Which singer and actress plays the role of Eva Perón in the 1996 musical, Evita?
32) ‘Be afraid. Be very afraid’ is the tagline to which sci-fi horror movie?
33) Complete the movie title: Indiana Jones and the Dial of…
34) Who voices Groot in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies?
35) The coming-of-age movie, Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret, is based on a novel by which author?
36) In Wreck-It Ralph, what is the name of the racing game Vanellope belongs to?
37) According to the title of the film, Gene Kelly, Donald O’Connor, and Debbie Reynolds are singin’ in what weather condition?
38) Who plays the role of Ellen Ripley in the Alien movies?
39) Officer Alex Murphy is better known as who?
40) Which actress plays the roles of Almira Gulch and the Wicked Witch of the West in 1939’s The Wizard of Oz?
41) In which year was the original King Kong released?
42) Jazz, Ratchet, and Starscream are characters in which action movie series?
43) Margaret Rutherford plays which sleuth in the 1963 mystery movie, Murder at the Gallop?
44) The 2019 biographical musical fantasy-drama, Rocketman, is based on the life and career of which British musician?
45) THINBARYL is an anagram of which 1986 fantasy film directed by Jim Henson?
46) Who plays Lieutenant Frank Drebin in the Naked Gun films?
47) Complete the 1988 movie title: Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of…
48) Nicholas Rowe and Alan Cox play the roles of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson respectively, in which ‘80s fantasy film?
49) In which 2000 comedy would you meet Gaylord Focker?
50) Who plays Will Kane in the 1952 Western, High Noon?
51) Which actor connects Gladiator, Man of Steel, and The Pope’s Exorcist?
52) What town provides the setting for 1978’s Halloween?
53) Which author links the movies Jurassic Park and Congo?
54) Dr. Richard Kimble is on the run after being wrongly convicted for the murder of his wife in which ‘90s thriller?
55) The 1980 musical comedy, Can’t Stop the Music, stars which iconic disco group?
56) Who plays the dual role of Peter Parker/Spider-Man in The Amazing Spider-Man 2?
57) Which music composer links The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Jaws?
58) Which of these movies does not feature the character, Hannibal Lecter?
a) Red Dragon b) The Silence of the Lambs c) The Bone Collector
59) True or false: Next Contact is the title of a Star Trek movie?
60) In which year was Avengers: Endgame released in cinemas?
61) Which of the following movies does not star Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan?
a) Sleepless in Seattle b) The Terminal c) You’ve Got Mail
62) AIRLOSS is an anagram of which movie?
63) Which director links Oppenheimer, Inception, and The Prestige?
64) The events of It’s A Wonderful Life are set in which fictional town?
65) Who voices Buzz Lightyear in the Toy Story movies?
66) In which ‘80s cult fantasy movie would you find Slayers, Prince Colwyn, and the Glaive?
67) Put these Walt Disney Animated Classics in release order:
a) Tarzan b) Jungle Book c) Mulan
68) Which actress plays the role of Alice in the Resident Evil movie series?
69) What is the name of the high school that Danny and Sandy attend in Grease?
70) Who voices Batman in The LEGO Batman Movie?
71) The gigantic bronze statue Talos, comes to life in which 1963 fantasy film?
72) In which ‘90s blockbuster movie will you repeatedly hear the line “spared no expense”?
73) Which of these characters does not appear in 2000’s X-Men?
a) Rogue b) Beast c) Toad
74) Which music composer links North by Northwest, Taxi Driver, and The Devil and Daniel Webster?
75) What is the name of the first Men in Black movie not to star Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones?
76) In what year was The Exorcist released?
77) What type of animal is Tails in the Sonic the Hedgehog movie series?
78) CGI is a commonly used term in the movie industry, but what do the three letters stand for?
79) SHATNO is an anagram of which Marvel super villain?
80) Army of Darkness is a sequel in which horror movie series?
81) In the 1971 psychological thriller, Play Misty for Me, what was Dave Garver’s occupation?
82) Which director calls the shots for the 1989 movie, Do the Right Thing?
83) The movie, The Color Purple, is based on a book by which author?
84) Which actor connects Ghost, Dirty Dancing, and Road House?
85) Who did Harry meet in a 1989 rom-com starring Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan?
86) What is the name of Humphrey Bogart’s character in Casablanca?
87) TOESTIO is an anagram of which Dustin Hoffman movie?
88) Who directed the Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell screwball comedy, His Girl Friday?
89) What mode of transportation is The African Queen in the 1951 movie of the same name?
90) British new wave band, Duran Duran, take their name from a character in which 1968 sci-fi movie?
91) Complete the movie title: Where Eagles…
92) What is the name of the building in the action film, Die Hard?
93) “I’m flying blind on a rocket-cycle!”, is a quote from which cult sci-fi movie?
94) Fill in the missing word to complete a movie title: Some ___ it Hot.
95) Which actor takes the lead role in the thriller, Falling Down?
96) Which Jaws movie features Michael Caine amongst its cast?
97) What year in the past does Marty McFly travel to in Back to the Future?
98) Who is the director behind The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day?
99) What is the name of DC Comics’ super-fast superhero, whose alter-ego is Barry Allen?
100) Mick Taylor is the serial killer in which Australian horror movie series?
101) According to the title of a ‘90s basketball comedy, what can’t white men do?
OK, those are all the movie questions; now to find out how well you did.
01) Who Framed Roger Rabbit
02) Steven Spielberg
04) Carrie Fisher
06) The Flintstones
08) Dirty Harry
09) Jared Leto
10) Superman: The Movie
12) The Little Mermaid
13) Sylvester Stallone
15) Paul Newman
16) Ruthless People
18) Alfred Hitchcock
19) c a b
20) New York
22) Inspector Jacques Clouseau
23) Mission: Impossible
24) The 1980s
25) Roger Moore
26) David Lean
27) Rosemary’s Baby
29) A pet detective
32) The Fly
34) Vin Diesel
35) Judy Blume
36) Sugar Rush
37) The rain
38) Sigourney Weaver
40) Margaret Hamilton
43) Miss Marple
44) Sir Elton John
46) Leslie Nielsen
48) Young Sherlock Holmes
49) Meet the Parents
50) Gary Cooper
51) Russell Crowe
53) Michael Crichton
54) The Fugitive
55) The Village People
56) Andrew Garfield
57) John Williams
63) Christopher Nolan
64) Bedford Falls
65) Tim Allen
67) b c a
68) Milla Jovovich
69) Rydell High School
70) Will Arnett
71) Jason and the Argonauts
72) Jurassic Park
74) Bernard Herrman
75) Men in Black: International
77) A fox
78) Computer-generated imagery
80) The Evil Dead
81) Radio disc jockey
82) Spike Lee
83) Alice Walker
84) Patrick Swayze
86) Rick Blaine
88) Howard Hawks
89) A steamboat
92) The Nakatomi Plaza
93) Flash Gordon
95) Michael Douglas
96) Jaws: The Revenge (aka Jaws 4)
98) James Cameron
99) The Flash
100) Wolf Creek
Thank you for stopping by It’s A Stampede! to read this post about classic movie quiz questions – I hope you found it useful. For more movie-related content, be sure to check out the recommended reads below.
Leave a Reply