In 1986, the comedy horror, House arrived in cinemas. The movie, about an author who lives in a haunted house, built up a following and was quickly accompanied by a collection of sequels.
But how many House movies are there and are they all connected? For the answers to those questions and more, scroll down and check out the details below.
How many House movies are there?
To date, there are four entries in the House movie series. The first movie made its theatrical debut in 1986 and the last movie went direct-to-video in 1992.
The House films are as follows:
- House (1986)
- House II: The Second Story (1987)
- House III: The Horror Show (1989)
- House IV: The Repossession (1992)
Who are the cast of the House movies?
Notable cast members in the House movie series include William Katt, George Wendt, Richard Moll, Kane Hodder, Ayre Gross, Jonathan Stark, John Ratzenberger, Amy Yasbeck, Frank Welker, and Lance Henriksen.
Are all of the House movies part of the same series?
All four House movies are considered to be part of the same series, hence the numbering system (II, III, IV etc), however, the films are largely unconnected. The movies can be watched as singular stories, devoid of any major continuity, so don’t expect any grand story arcs.
Important points to note about the House series:
- William Katt appears in both House and House IV, playing the role of Roger Cobb, but he does not feature in House II or House III. Cobb is the only major character to reappear in the series.
- House III was initially released in the US under the title of The Horror Show, rather than House III: The Horror Show. The producers felt the movie was tonally quite different to its predecessors, so decided it was best to disconnect House III from the series.
- House IV was filmed in 1990, but did not receive a release until 1992, where it skipped cinemas and went to VHS.
Is the House series the work of the same director?
Each House movie is the work of a different director. Steve Miner directed House, Ethan Wiley directed House II, James Isaac and David Blythe directed House III, and Lewis Abernathy directed House IV.
What is the best House movie?
House is considered the best entry in the series, while the sequels tend to be looked upon less favourably. According to IMDb, the House movies are ranked as follows:
- House (1986) – 6.2/10
- House II: The Second Story (1987) – 5.4/10
- House III: The Horror Show (1989) – 5.0/10
- House IV: The Repossession (1992) – 3.9/10
I hope this information about the House film series has proved useful. Should you wish to read more horror posts, please check out the recommended reads below.