If you’re wondering ‘in what order should I watch the Marvel movies?’, then this post will help you!
In 2018, ahead of the release of Avengers: Endgame, Marvel Studios published an official timeline for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This timeline offered up an easy to follow map of the MCU movies, to make it super simple to follow the series.
I have replicated this timeline below, adding in the additional movies that have been released since it was initially published.
BUT before you read through the timeline, there are two things you need to be aware of:
- Not every Marvel Studios is set during the year of its release. Some films are period pieces (the 1940s, the 1990s etc), while others are set a few years either side of their release date (i.e. just because a movie was released in 2008, doesn’t mean it was set in 2008).
- This timeline does not include the Marvel TV shows – it is purely for the films.
Got it? Good!
The official Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline
Here is the official Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline, according to Marvel Studios…
- 1943-1945 – Captain America: The First Avenger
- 1995 – Captain Marvel
- 2010 – Iron Man
- 2011 – Iron Man 2 + The Incredible Hulk + Thor
- 2012 – The Avengers + Iron Man 3
- 2013 – Thor: The Dark World
- 2014 – Captain America: The Winter Soldier + Guardians of the Galaxy + Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- 2015 – Avengers: Age of Ultron + Ant-Man
- 2016 – Captain America: Civil War + Spider-Man: Homecoming
- 2016 – 2017 – Doctor Strange
- 2017 – Black Panther + Thor: Ragnarok + Avengers: Infinity War + Ant-Man & the Wasp
- 2022 – Avengers: Endgame + Spider-Man: Far From Home
The majority of this timeline was originally included in the book: Marvel Studios: The First 10 Years. According to Marvel this is the chronological order for the movies.
Now as you can see, Captain America: The First Avenger is the first entry in the timeline, with the events of the film spanning a time period of two-years. You can also see that according to the timeline, 2014 & 2017 were very busy years for the MCU, with multiple movies being set during these years.
So, is this the best order to watch the Marvel movies?
Well, it’s debatable as to whether or not this is the best order to watch the Marvel movies. You could of course stick to production order, which isn’t too different from the list above…
…or you could just watch what you want, when you want – because you make your own rules!