Tony Stark – “Part of the journey is the end.”
The first official trailer for Avengers: Endgame has arrived and makes one thing clear – both in its title and Tony Stark’s comment – this is the end of the road for the Avengers. Sure, the team may live on after this next instalment, but this movie will be a conclusion.
So, what does the trailer actually tell us?
Not much really – the trailer does its best to keep things close to its chest. This is a great thing as it’s spoiler free – but what does it allude to?
Here are a few observations:
- The characters that appear are all heroes we know survived the decimation, with the exception of one – Hawkeye. It was presumed that Clint Barton survived the events of Infinity War, but it was not a guarantee. The trailer reveals it to be true, but wait, why is Barton dressed differently? Well, that’s because in this trailer it would appear that Hawkeye is now going under the guise of Ronin – an identity he has previously taken in the comics.
- The Avengers are grieving. Thor in particular seems to be dealing with the outcome of the decimation quite hard. Expect this to play a big part in this movie.
- Steve Rogers can be seen staring at an old picture of Peggy Carter. This should have some significance in the finished film – either as a reminder of where Rogers has come from or as motivation for what he must do.
- Black Widow’s reassurance that “this is going to work”, suggests the team has a plan – it just needs to be executed. So where has this plan come from? It’s most likely from characters not featured in Infinity War – either Clint Barton or Scott Lang. Speaking of which.
- The trailer ends with a scene involving Scott Lang, aka Ant-Man. It has long been rumoured that Lang will play an important role in Avengers: End Game. The inclusion of this scene suggests this is likely to be the case.
- Bruce Banner appears in the trailer, but there’s still no sign of Hulk. Captain Marvel is also absent from the trailer.
As mentioned above, this trailer goes to great lengths to keep the story of Avengers: Endgame under wraps. Expect more reveals in a follow-up trailer – likely to land in early 2019 – but for now it’s still a guessing game.