Readers of It’s A Stampede! will know that The Greatest Showman crops up as a subject on this blog quite often. The reason for this is because a.) I like the film and b.) it has proved to be a big success story of 2018.
But how much do you know about the movie?
Well, let’s presume you want to know a bit more about the musical extravaganza that is The Greatest Showman, then you’ll need to know the highlights. Here are the highlights!
The Greatest Showman – The Stats:
- The Greatest Showman is written by Jenny Bicks and Bill Condon and directed by Michael Gracey. The film marks Gracey’s directorial debut having previously worked as a visual effects supervisor for the likes of Ned Kelly (2003) and The Magician (2005).
- On December 8th 2017, The Greatest Showman received its premiere aboard the RMS Queen Mary 2. The film hit US screens on December 20th 2017.
- Hugh Jackman was announced as the star of The Greatest Showman way back in 2009.
- Upon release, initial reviews for The Greatest Showman were mixed at best, however the movie struck a chord with audiences and developed a strong and loyal following thanks to positive word of mouth. On Rotten Tomatoes The Greatest Showman has an audience score of 87% (compared to the critical review rating of 56%).
- The Greatest Showman has screened in 66 territories across the world, from Argentina to Uruguay.
- To date the movie has taken more than $434 million at the worldwide box office, with over £174 million coming from US audiences.
- The second most profitable territory outside of the US is the UK, where audiences have added more than $62 million to The Greatest Showman’s box office total.
- In the US, The Greatest Showman is the third most successful musical of all-time, sitting behind Grease (1978) and Beauty and the Beast (2017).
- As well as the box office success of The Greatest Showman, the accompanying soundtrack album has also proved popular having topped the iTunes chart in more than 77 countries. In the UK, the album spent 21 weeks in the No.1 spot of the UK’s official chart.
- To date, The Greatest Showman has won seven awards, including Best Original Song at the Golden Globe Awards 2018 (for This is Me) and Best Soundtrack at the Classic Brit Awards 2018.
- As of today (12th July 2018), The Greatest Showman is STILL playing in select UK cinemas. By today’s standards – where movies leave screens within two months – the film has been a huge success for exhibitors.
And now you know.