Yesterday, I posted a list of forthcoming Marvel movies, to offer up a handy guide to what movies are coming and when! This morning it is more of the same, only this time with a focus on films based on DC Comics characters.
DC’s slate contains almost the same amount of movies as Marvel’s, however there is a heavier focus on animated offerings. Some may use this to bash DC for not having huge ‘event’ movies like Marvel, but it’s worth remembering that DC/Warner Bros. have a great deal of success with animated movies, plus Marvel’s properties are spread across a number of studios (Marvel Studios, Fox, Sony etc).
Right, let’s deal with the first question: When is the next DC movie released?
- The next movie to be released is Teen Titans GO! To the Movies, which arrives in cinemas on July 27th. The movie is produced by Warner Bros. Animation and is a spin-off of long-running animated series, Teen Titans GO! – which is itself a spin-off of ‘00s cartoon, Teen Titans. Teen Titans GO! to the Movies stars Scott Menville, Greg Cipes, Khary Payton, Tara Strong and Hynden Walch. Nicolas Cage will be voicing Superman, while Will Arnett will voice Slade.
- Next up is The Death of Superman – Part one of a two-part animated epic. No set release date for this one, however the movie is expected to arrive in late 2018 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The Death of Superman will feature the voices of Jerry O’Connell, Rosario Dawson, Nathan Fillion, Christopher Gorham and Jason O’Mara.
- Another movie without a release date, but is expected to arrive in 2018 is LEGO DC Super Heroes: Aquaman: Rage of Atlantis. The film is being produced by Warner Bros. Animation and is the latest in a long line of LEGO/DC direct-to-video movies.
- No set date for this one either, but Warner Bros. has another DC Super Hero Girls: Legends of Atlantis movie in the works for 2018. Not many details have been announced, but expect this movie to land around the time that Aquaman hits cinema screens (see below).
- To round off 2018, Warner Bros. Pictures will release Aquaman – the next entry in the DC Extended Universe. Jason Momoa will reprise the role of Aquaman (last seen in 2017’s Justice League), alongside Amber Heard, Patrick Wilson, Willem Dafoe and Nicole Kidman. Aquaman hits cinema screens on December 21st.
- Kicking off 2019, New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Pictures will release Shazam! – the next entry in the DC Extended Universe. The movie will introduce the character of Billy Batson, a teenage boy who transforms into a superhero upon uttering the phrase ‘Shazam!’. David F. Sandberg directs, while Asher Angel takes on the role of Billy and Zachary Levi straps on the cape to play Shazam!. The movie arrives on April 5th
- Slotting in somewhere in 2019 is the conclusion to the animated movie, The Death of Superman. This movie will be called Reign of the Supermen and will see the voice cast from part one return.
- The next DC movie of 2019 will be The Kitchen. This film is based on a Vertigo comic – an imprint of DC Comics – and is tentatively scheduled for September 20th. The movie is currently in pre-production, with Andrea Berloff writing and directing. This movie will NOT be part of the DC Extended Universe.
- And finally, rounding of 2019 is Wonder Woman 2 – the sequel to 2017’s Wonder Woman. Patty Jenkins is back in the director’s chair, Gal Gadot is reprising the role of Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, while Kristen Wiig is on board as the villainous, Cheetah. The movie is scheduled to arrive in cinemas on November 1st
And now you know!