In 2005, Tyler Perry took his popular comedy character, Madea to the big screen via the movie Diary of a Mad Black Woman. The film proved popular and led to a series of sequels, with Madea as the focus.
But how many Madea movies are there and what is the order? For the answers to those questions and more, scroll down and check out the details below.
What is the order of the Madea movies?
To date, there are eleven entries in the Madea movie series. The Madea films are as follows:
- Diary of a Mad Black Woman (2005)
- Madea’s Family Reunion (2006)
- Madea Goes to Jail (2009)
- I Can Do Bad All by Myself (2009)
- Madea’s Big Happy Family (2011)
- Madea’s Witness Protection (2012)
- A Madea Christmas (2013)
- Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Tough Love (2015)
- Boo! A Madea Halloween (2016)
- Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (2017)
- A Madea Family Funeral (2019)
In addition to the eleven movies listed above, Tyler Perry also played the role of Madea for a brief cameo in the film, Meet the Browns (2008).
Are all of the Madea movies part of the same series?
The Madea movies are all part of the same series, with Tyler Perry playing the role of Madea throughout. All of the movies are live-action films with the exception of Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Tough Love (2015), which is an animated film.
Who are the cast of the Madea movies?
Notable cast members in the Madea movie series include Tyler Perry, Steve Harris, Kimberly Elise, Blair Underwood, Lynn Whitfield, Derek Luke, Keshia Knight Pulliam, Viola Davis, Sofía Vergara, Gladys Knight, Mary J. Blige, Loretta Devine, Cassi Davis, Doris Roberts, Denise Richards, Eugene Levy, Tom Arnold, and Mike Tyson.
Is the Madea series the work of the same director?
The Madea movies are the work of three directors. Darren Grant directed Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Frank Marino directed the animated movie Madea’s Tough Love, while Tyler Perry directed the remaining entries in the series.
What is the best Madea movie?
Diary of a Mad Black Woman is often regarded as the best movie in the collection.
According to IMDb, the Madea movies are ranked (from best to worst) as follows:
- Diary of a Mad Black Woman (2005) – 5.8/10
- Madea’s Family Reunion (2006) – 5.2/10
- Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Tough Love (2015) – 5.2/10
- Madea’s Witness Protection (2012) – 4.9/10
- A Madea Christmas (2013) – 4.9/10
- Madea’s Big Happy Family (2011) – 4.7/10
- Boo! A Madea Halloween (2016) – 4.6/10
- Madea Goes to Jail (2009) – 4.5/10
- I Can Do Bad All by Myself (2009) – 4.5/10
- A Madea Family Funeral (2019) – 4.4/10
- Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (2017) – 3.8/10
If you’re a fan of Madea, or you’re just getting into the Madea movies, then you may wish to know that a set of Madea plays are available on DVD in the US.
The plays are grouped together in the Region 1 Tyler Perry 4-Play Collection, which includes Madea’s Class Reunion: The Play, Madea’s Family Reunion: The Play, Meet the Browns: The Play, and I Can Do Bad All By Myself: The Play.
The Tyler Perry 4-Play Collection is available from all good entertainment stockists, including Amazon US.
I hope this information about the Madea film series has proved useful. Should you wish to read more movie-related posts, please check out the recommended reads below.
- 43 comedies to put a smile on your face
- What is the best order to watch the American Pie movies?
- How many Meet the Parents movies are there?
Disclaimer: I earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.