Since the release of the first James Bond movie, 1962’s Dr. No, 007 has become synonymous with girls, gadgets, and… songs. Whenever a new Bond movie is released, a new song (often titled after the film) plays over the opening credits and becomes a hit in its own right.
The Bond songs have become an important element of the series, and every time a new picture goes into production, fans speculate as to which musical artist will be given the task of providing the signature song for 007. But what are the Bond songs?
Below is a list of all the main title tracks for every official James Bond film. The list includes the name of the song, as well as the name of the artist that performed it, and what film it appears in.
- James Bond theme – Monty Norman/John Barry (Dr. No – 1962)
- From Russia with Love – Matt Munro (From Russia with Love – 1963)*
- Goldfinger – Shirley Bassey (Goldfinger – 1964)
- Thunderball – Tom Jones (Thunderball – 1965)
- You Only Live Twice – Nancy Sinatra (You Only Live Twice – 1967)
- On Her Majesty’s Secret Service – Monty Norman (On Her Majesty’s Secret Service – 1969)
- Diamonds Are Forever – Shirley Bassey (Diamonds Are Forever – 1971)
- Live and Let Die – Wings (Live and Let Die – 1973)
- The Man with the Golden Gun – Lulu (The Man with the Golden Gun – 1974)
- Nobody Does it Better – Carly Simon (The Spy Who Loved Me – 1977)
- Moonraker – Shirley Bassey (Moonraker – 1979)
- For Your Eyes Only – Sheena Easton (For Your Eyes Only – 1981)
- All Time High – Rita Coolidge (Octopussy – 1983)
- A View to a Kill – Duran Duran (A View to a Kill – 1985)
- The Living Daylights – A-ha (The Living Daylights – 1987)
- Licence to Kill – Gladys Knight (Licence to Kill – 1989)
- GoldenEye – Tina Turner (GoldenEye – 1995)
- Tomorrow Never Dies – Sheryl Crow (Tomorrow Never Dies – 1997)
- The World is Not Enough – Garbage (The World is Not Enough – 1999)
- Die Another Day – Madonna (Die Another Day – 2002)
- You Know My Name – Chris Cornell (Casino Royale – 2006)
- Another Way to Die – Jack White and Alicia Keys (Quantum of Solace – 2008)
- Skyfall – Adele (Skyfall – 2012)
- Writing’s on the Wall – Sam Smith (Spectre – 2015)
- No Time to Die – Billie Eilish (No Time to Die – 2020)
*Please note: Although Matt Munro performed the title track for From Russia with Love, the version used during the opening credits of the film is purely instrumental and does not feature Munro.
In addition to the songs/films listed above, opening credit songs were also included in the two unofficial James Bond movies: Casino Royale (1967) and Never Say Never Again (1983). The songs and artists are as follows:
- Casino Royale theme – Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass (Casino Royale – 1967)
- Never Say Never Again – Lani Hall (Never Say Never Again – 1983)
So, which is your favourite Bond song? Does Billie Eilish’s No Time to Die impress you or are you more of a Tina Turner GoldenEye fan? Maybe it’s Bassey all the way. Sound off in the comments and let me know your ultimate Bond song.