The reviews for Sony Pictures’ animated movie, Spider-Man: Into the SpiderVerse are out! And you’ll be please to know…
…there is a LOT of positive buzz about this movie.
Before I get to the reviews, here is a quick reminder about the film.
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a big screen Spider-Man adventure from the creative team of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. The movie isn’t connected to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but is instead part of Sony’s ever expanding Spidey series.
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse features several Spider-Man-related characters, including Miles Morales and Peter Parker. The movie hits cinema screens in December.
OK, enough with the preamble. Here’s what is being said about the movie:
- Charles Bramesco of The Guardian awarded Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse four stars (out of five) and said: “While on paper it might seem like a shameless cash grab, this latest take on the webslinger is a thrilling, witty and surprisingly necessary chapter in the franchise.”
- Alex Abad-Santos of Vox also gave the movie a score of four (out of five) and said: “With its risky visual storytelling and tender script, Into the Spider-Verse earns the greatest honour that one can bestow on a Spider-Man movie: It somehow makes you want to see more Spider-Man movies.”
- David Griffin of IGN awarded Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse a score of 9 (out of 10) and said: “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse hits all the marks to be an all-around moviegoing blast. Miles Morales has a memorable big-screen debut thanks to a compelling story and strong performances from its heroes and villain. Alongside Peter Parker, Miles’ journey from everyday teenager to a genuine city-saving superhero is one of the best Spider-Man movie stories ever.”
- Susana Polo of Polygon was also impressed with the movie calling it “a feast for the eyes.” She added: “In a wide field of Spider-Mans to choose from, it is the strength of Miles Morales’ story that makes him a standout character. And Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse has plenty of strengths to go around.”
- And finally, Peter Sciretta of Slashfilm, said: “Spider-man: Into The Spider-Verse is not only the best animated feature and best comic book movie this year, but one of the best movies of 2018 period. I don’t think another movie does a better job of bringing a comic book to life on the big screen.”
Very positive all round.
Hands up, who can’t wait to watch this movie?
For more review round-ups and reactions to recent releases, check out past editions of The Great Stampede which have focused on Aquaman, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Creed II, Venom, Halloween, The Predator, The Meg, Teen Titans GO! to the Movies, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, Mission: Impossible – Fallout , Skyscraper, Whitney, The First Purge, Ant-Man and the Wasp, The Incredibles 2, Ocean’s 8, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Hereditary, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Deadpool 2, Batman Ninja, Avengers: Infinity War, Rampage, A Quiet Place, Isle of Dogs, Tomb Raider, Ready Player One, Love, Simon, A Wrinkle in Time, Annihilation, The Shape of Water and Black Panther.