In a little over a week’s time, Aquaman begins its cinematic roll-out, taking in China (Dec 7th), the UK (Dec 14th) and the USA (Dec 21st), amongst many other territories across the world. The movie – which stars Jason Momoa, Amber Heard, Nicole Kidman, Patrick Wilson and Willem Dafoe – is directed by James Wan and is the next entry in Warner Bros. Pictures’ portfolio of comic book movies.
Current indications suggest that the movie is tracking well, meaning from pre-sold tickets alone Aquaman should make a sizeable impact at the box office when it opens. But what of the reviews?
Well, the pesky review embargo for Aquaman remains in place for another couple of weeks, meaning we can’t get lengthy thoughts about the movie from the critics. However, the social media embargo lifted last night, which means we can get an indication about the film’s critical success.
Want to know what the initial reactions are?
Of course you do!
Here’s what’s being said:
- Brandon Davis of ComicBook.com, said: “Aquaman is great. James Wan made a really unique super hero origin film, often crossing into fantasy-epic territory, but grounded in family and discovery. The world is visually incredible. Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry is a total bad-ass.”
- Sean Gerber of SuperHeroNews.com, said: “Aquaman is an epic fantasy adventure on the high seas! It’s packed with thrilling action in a dazzling underwater world like nothing I’ve ever seen in superhero movies, or anywhere else. I had a total blast watching this movie & so will you. See it on the biggest screen you can!”
- The positive vibes continued from Paul Shirey of Joblo.com. Paul said: “Short & sweet reaction to Aquaman is that I loved it. It’s a comic book movie through & through with great action, iconic moments & visual spectacle to spare. Momoa makes the character his own & Wan honors the traditional aspects, but elevates it to the modern era. It’s a blast.”
- Tom Jorgensen of IGN, called Aquaman “the best DC movie since The Dark Knight.” He added: “WB should be handing the DCEU reins to James Wan, he’s proven he can, ahem, right the ship.”
- And finally, Dorian Parks of Geeks of Color said he “loved” Aquaman. He added: “It’s definitely one of the best DC universe movies thus far. It’s a fun underwater fantasy sci-fi adventure everyone will enjoy. James Wan did a great job of bringing the first Aquaman movie to life.”
So, there we have it – very positive all around.
As these initial reactions are from social media, rather than full-length reviews, you should take them with a pinch of salt, but even so, things are looking good for Aquaman.
For more review round-ups and reactions to recent releases, check out past editions of The Great Stampede which have focused on Ralph Breaks the Internet, Creed II, Venom, Halloween, The Predator, The Meg, Teen Titans GO! to the Movies, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, Mission: Impossible – Fallout , Skyscraper, Whitney, The First Purge, Ant-Man and the Wasp, The Incredibles 2, Ocean’s 8, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Hereditary, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Deadpool 2, Batman Ninja, Avengers: Infinity War, Rampage, A Quiet Place, Isle of Dogs, Tomb Raider, Ready Player One, Love, Simon, A Wrinkle in Time, Annihilation, The Shape of Water and Black Panther.