This weekend, New York Comic Con 2018 took place at the Jarvits Center in New York. The four day event served up a bunch of geek news from the world of TV, film, comics, toys and more.
For those who missed the event, here are some of the news highlights:
- Matt Bomer is to take on the role of Negative Man for forthcoming TV show, Doom Patrol.
- CBS All Access has released a new trailer forStar Trek: Discovery Season Two. The trailer includes a look at the new Spock.
- Margot Robbie is in talks to star/produce a movie about iconic toyline, Barbie.
- Jon Favreau’s new Star Wars TV series has been given a name. The show will be called The Mandalorian. Dave Filoni will direct the pilot, with Bryce Dallas Howard and Taika Waititi also set to direct.
- Marvel has released a launch trailer for Spider-Geddon issue #1. The Spider-Man event series kicks off this Wednesday (10th October).
- Kaley Cuoco has been confirmed as the voice of Harley Quinn in the new Harley Quinn animated series. The show will stream on DC Universe.
- Funko is to release DC Primal Age – a series of action figures based on classic DC characters, but styled around toy lines of the 1980s.
- Super 7 is to produce a wave of ReAction figures based around the Universal Monsters. The wave will include The Mummy, The Wolf Man, The Phantom of the Opera (Masque of the Red Death), Metaluna Mutant and The Mole People (person?).
- Ahead of its debut, Titans has been renewed for a second season.
- Lionsgate’s new Hellboy movie is being described as a horror film, rather than a super hero tale. Footage of the new film was shown to attendees of NYCC but an official trailer is yet to be released.
- Sideshow Collectibles has released a products trailer, highlighting forthcoming releases from the company.
- Marvel/Netflix has announced that Daredevil Season 3 will showcase the origin of classic DD character, Bullseye. Daredevil Season 3 arrives on Netflix on October 19th.
- Batman will finally make an appearance in Gotham, but not until the final episode. The Season Five finale will be set ten years after the events of the series and will include the Dark Knight.
- DreamWorksTV has released a new trailer for She-Ra and the Princesses of Power.
- Chris Evans has officially completed filming duties on Avengers 4, signalling the end of the road for the actor’s involvement with Marvel Studios movies. Taking to social media, the actor said: “Officially wrapped on Avengers 4. It was an emotional day to say the least. Playing this role over the last 8 years has been an honour. To everyone in front of the camera, behind the camera, and in the audience, thank you for the memories! Eternally grateful.”
- McFarlane Toys has announced it is to revive its classic Movie Maniacs toy line. The line previously included figures such as Michael Myers and Ghostface, amongst others.
- SyFy has released a first-look image of Lobo. The character will be appearing in the forthcoming second season of Krypton.
- Marvel is to re-release Marvels for its 25th anniversary.
- Capcom has announced that a Mega Man movie is officially in the works. According to MovieWeb it has been confirmed that Henry Joost and Ariel Schumann will write/direct.
- Hasbro has released details of new Marvel Legends for 2019. According to Action Figure Insider, these Legends will include Forge, Caliban, Beta Ray Bill and more.
- Warner Bros. Pictures has released a FIVE MINUTE (!) look at Aquaman.
- Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain have made it known that they are both up for a Lois & Clark re-union. Speaking at NYCC 2018 (via The Hollywood Reporter), Hatcher admitted she’s even approached Warner Bros about the idea. She said: “I got as far as some people at Warner Bros.”. She added: “It’s a complicated sell because they have their own plan for the superheroes [and where Superman fits in].”
- And finally, Super 7 is to produce a She-Ra and Catra set of figures based on the forthcoming Netflix show, She-Ra and the Princess of Power. The figures will be released in January 2019.
That’s your lot.
Sadly no (public) Hellboy trailer, no Avengers 4 trailer, no Wonder Woman 84 footage and nothing on forthcoming Disney films such as Aladdin or Lion King. Better luck next time.