If you’re reading this particular post then you’re probably here because you have a specific question on your mind: How many movies have grossed more than $1 billion at the box office?
Well, I have the answer!
To date, 36 movies have grossed more than $1 billion at the box office – including four movies which have passed the $2 billion mark. At the top of the table is Avatar, which is the highest grossing movie of all-time, with a whooping $2,788,965,087.
Here are all 36 movies, in box office order:
- Avatar* (2009)
- Titanic* (1997)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens* (2015)
- Avengers: Infinity War* (2018)
- Jurassic World (2015)
- The Avengers (2012)
- Furious 7 (2015)
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
- Black Panther (2018)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)
- Frozen (2013)
- Beauty and the Beast (2017)
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)
- The Fate of the Furious (2017)
- Iron Man 3 (2013)
- Minions (2015)
- Captain America: Civil War (2016)
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
- Skyfall (2012)
- Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- Toy Story 3 (2010)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (2006)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
- Despicable Me 3 (2017)
- Jurassic Park (1993)
- Finding Dory (2016)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
- Alice in Wonderland (2010)
- Zootopia (2016)
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- The Dark Knight (2008)
- The Incredibles 2 (2018)
*Indicates movies which have surpassed $2 billion at the worldwide box office.
Of the 36 movies listed above, 18 are Disney movies – 20 if you count The Phantom Menace and Avatar which were originally released by Fox, but are now/about to be owned by Disney. Of this 20, six movies are from Marvel Studios and four are Star Wars films.
To date, 2015 has produced the highest number of movies that have grossed more than $1 billion, with five films: Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, Furious 7, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Minions. However, we’re only six months into 2018 and the year has already produced four movies that have surpassed the $1 billion mark.
The most recent movie to gross more than $1 billion is The Incredibles 2. The earliest film on the above list is Jurassic Park – although this grossed over $1 billion thanks to numerous re-releases.
And now you know. And knowing is half the battle.