Ever wanted to know a little bit more about the Batman Movie Anthology (1989 – 1997)? Then you came to the right place!
Over the next four days It’s A Stampede! will feature a different Bat-related post, providing you with ten factoids about an entry from the series. Today it’s the turn of Batman Returns (1992)!
- Did you know… After completing Batman (1989), director Tim Burton was reluctant to come back for a sequel? Warner Bros convinced Burton to return by giving him more creative control. Discussing the situation on Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight, writer Sam Hamm, said: “He was very reluctant to get involved and finally, the way that they kind of got to him, was to say ‘what if you know… what if the second movie is really just a Tim Burton movie?’.”
- Did you know… Annette Benning was originally cast in the role of Catwoman? The actress dropped out of the role after she discovered she was pregnant. Michelle Pfeiffer took over the role, but not before Sean Young – the actress originally set to play Vicki Vale in Batman (1989) – turned up at the Warner Bros Studio lot dressed in a homemade Catwoman outfit. Her plan was to convince director Tim Burton that she could play the part of Catwoman. It didn’t work.
- Did you know… Elizabeth Sanders – the wife of Batman co-creator, Bob Kane – made a brief cameo appearance in Batman Returns? Sanders appears as a Gotham Citizen.
- Did you know… Pee-wee Herman actor, Paul Reubens cameoed as the Penguin’s father, Tucker Cobblepot? The actor had previously worked with director, Tim Burton on Pee-wee’s Big Adventure (1985).
- Did you know… Actress Michelle Pfeiffer had to put a live bird in her mouth during the filming of Batman Returns? The scene called for Pfeiffer to have a bird fly out of her mouth. The actress repeated this action on more than one occasion.
- Did you know… The penguins that appear throughout Batman Returns are a mixture of real birds, actors in suits and animatronic replicas? In order to keep the real penguins comfortable, the temperature of the sets was lowered to suit the penguins’ needs during production.
- Did you know… The character of Harvey Dent appeared in early drafts of Batman Returns? During the writing process a decision was made not to include Dent in the movie, so elements of his character were transferred to newly created villain, Max Shreck.
- Did you know… Amongst the photographs in Max Shreck’s office, there is a picture of Shreck with actor, Arnold Schwarzenegger? Schwarzenegger would later go on to play Mr. Freeze in Batman & Robin (1997).
- Did you know… The final shot of the movie – the reappearance of Catwoman – was inserted at the very last minute? Michelle Pfeiffer was not available for the shot, so a double took her place. The shot cost $250,000.
- Did you know… Upon release Batman Returns received mixed reviews and came under fire for its dark tone and content? Discussing the reaction to the movie, producer Denise Di Novi told Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight, “It did have a darkness, and a complexity and a resonance that I think the audience at the time…. a lot of people didn’t expect. It wasn’t just a fun, cool comic book movie. It was something more than that.”