On Wednesday, The Shape of Water arrives in the UK. The movie – directed by Guillermo del Toro – stars Sally Hawkins, Michael Shannon and Doug Jones and is distributed by Fox Searchlight Pictures.
Even though it doesn’t open in the UK for another couple of days, the current buzz for The Shape of Water is incredibly positive. US critics have been praising the movie since it was released in the States back in December 2017 and to date it has picked up 13 Academy Award nominations, 12 BAFTA nominations and has already won two Golden Globes!
If the awards buzz doesn’t convince you this movie is set to wow UK audiences, then take a look at the review snippets posted below. Set out for your consideration are seven excerpts, taken from various online reviews, which offer up thoughts and reactions to the new movie.
Here’s what’s being said about The Shape of Water:
- Ryan Lamble of Den of Geek! was very positive about The Shape of Water, awarding the movie five stars (out of five). He said: “Superbly acted by its diverse cast – Hawkins, in particular, is captivating in the lead – and made with evident care, The Shape Of Water is surely del Toro’s best film since Pan’s Labyrinth.” He added: “Classic status surely beckons.”
- Robbie Collin of the Telegraph awarded The Shape of Water five stars (out of five), commenting: “Guillermo del Toro’s beautiful blood-curdler is as timeless as a fairy tale.”
- The five star praise continued with top marks from Olly Richards of Empire, who said: “The Shape Of Water is a movie that will grow with repeat watches, quiet side stories getting louder with familiarity. On first viewing it’s a flood of wondrous moments and sinister, beautiful images. As it settles, as you think on it for weeks after, its deeper meanings rise to the surface.”
- Kevin Harley of GamesRader also awarded The Shape of Water five stars (out of five), calling the movie “a timeless, fantastical and forceful fable of outsider love.”
- Xan Brooks of The Guardian, gave The Shape of Water four stars (out of five) and said: “Del Toro provides just enough spade-work to keep the scheme plausible and his film is stylish and charming; red meat for the senses with some sugar on top.”
- Euan Franklin of The Up Coming, awarded The Shape of Water four stars (out of five). He said: “The Shape of Water is a violent, sexy, beautiful fairytale for adults that reinvigorates the magic of movies. It also resonates with current times, primarily through Michael Shannon’s racist, power-crazy and misogynistic villain – perfect for the post-Weinstein era. But, more than anything, del Toro has allowed grown-ups to dream again.”
- And finally, Mike Reyes of Cinema Blend serves up yet another five star rating, describing The Shape of Water as “the most beautiful film of the year, both in body and spirit.” According to Mike, “it is not to be missed.”
So there you go – seven review snippets, all very complimentary of the movie.
If you’re off to see The Shape of Water this week, share your thoughts and let me know what you think – do you agree with the critics? Oh, and the same goes for Black Panther, which arrives in cinemas tomorrow and was the subject of The Great Stampede #10 – does Black Panther live up to the hype?
Share your thoughts, because sharing is caring.